As most people that have installed IIS 7.0 on Windows Vista and Windows Server© 2008 have realized, there are no options to install the FrontPage Server Extensions, leaving only two ways to edit your Web site if it is hosted on a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 computer:
- Edit the Web site locally by using the file system.
- Use FTP to upload your files to a remote Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 computer.
Microsoft realizes that the FrontPage Server Extensions are essential to many Web hosting companies and developers, and has worked with Ready-to-Run Software to release a version of the FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions (FPSE 2002) for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. This version of FPSE 2002 is available for x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 as a separate download for IIS 7.0, and you can download this version by clicking the following URL:
FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions for IIS 7.0
- The FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions (FPSE 2002) are not supported for IIS 7.5 on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. If you attempt to install FPSE 2002 on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, you should receive several installation errors, following which the server extensions will fail to work.
- This release of the FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions (FPSE 2002) is supported Ready-to-Run Software. More information about Ready-to-Run Software is available at the following URL:
- This version of FPSE 2002 introduces no new functionality; it is essentially the same version of FPSE 2002 that was created for Windows Server 2003, but it has been updated to work on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008. By way of additional explanation, FPSE 2002 is part of the Office XP system of products. The Office XP system, including FPSE 2002, left mainstream support on July 11th, 2006, according to the Office lifecycle policy. Because Microsoft's support policy is to remove software from the Download Center that is no longer supported, FPSE 2002 was removed from the Microsoft Download Center at that time as a separate product. FPSE 2002 continues to be available and supported on Windows Server 2003 through the Add Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs control panel.